Friday, June 12, 2009

Early tomorrow morning....

Ever since I moved here I've always had one race scheduled.


Race for the Cure

It happens every June and whether I'm ready or not...I run it.

I run it for my friend Jenny - who at a young age was diagnosed, endured and beat cancer, all while looking fabulous! (I'm still jealous of your 'tattoos'!)

I run it for my Aunt Nancy - who beat cancer and came back with better hair!

Last but not least...I run it for my Mom! She was there the first time I ran it back in 2003 and tomorrow she was there with me again! She's a breast cancer survivor and of many other things.
I'm grateful she's my Mother!

So while my Mother enjoys her 'Survivor's Breakfast', Brandon and I will be huffing & puffing our way through the 5k course.

I love this course. They change it a little every year and it's not the actual course that I'm in love with...it's the people on the course. People setup sprinklers for runner's to run through, bands play music, kids blast runners with their super soakers, the church choir sings in front of their church, people sit in their front yard to cheer you on and most importantly...there are survivors running the course. You can't feel sorry for yourself, complain about the pain or the heat when you're in the midst of a survivor. They empower me to be better, to push past the pain...they make me want to endure!

So tomorrow we will be getting up early to catch a bus over to our 7am race.
Will I complain about how early I have to get up? Nope.
Will I complain that I can't party all night to celebrate a friend's birthday? Nope.
Will I complain at all? Nope.

Because I will be in the midst of a survivor - my Mom!

2 comments:

Candi Cole said...

Awesome post! You and your mom are amazing women, and I am so blessed to have you as a friend. Thanks for celebrating with me even though you had to get up early to run. Love you!!!!

S. Page said...

Yeah for you and Brandon for doing this !!!